Saturday, February 27, 2010

My familiar stranger

Reading is my favorite’s pastime.

I started to read English magazines about 15 years back. It was when I stumbled upon a stacked of Reader Digest in the library of my secondary school. Before that English to me was like the outer-space-alien-language. The simple US English of the magazine had made it easier to read and understand. It was in one of the magazines that I came to know the existence of ‘familiar stranger’. And now, I have mine.

He is a guard of a construction site for a parking lot of a hospital next to the university. They started developing that area about 6 months back which means he has been working there for about the same length of time.

Every day, I cycle passing the area, and he will be standing in front of the gate of the construction site.

First, it started with just flagged-waves asking me to cycle in the safe side of the road, especially made for cyclists and pedestrians. Then, there were hello, how do you do, ohaiyo, good morning and many more words. He simply was practicing his English with me. I would smile and answer his good morning with ohaiyo (good morning in Japanese). Anyway, his antics will sometimes put a smile on my face.

Don’t ask me about anything else about him, he is still a stranger. ;)

7 comments :

Naz in Norway said...

Lovely post! :)

naba the mutant said...

Thanks sis for the comment, u just made my day brighter! :)

Naz in Norway said...

Continue writing, sis. I love your angle :)

naba the mutant said...

(^_~)...my friends said i am "a good exaggerator"...but in this case nothing is exaggerated, i have been smiling the whole day because of ur comment....simply because i love the way u write, sis :)

cuma saya ni pemalu....hehehe!

Naz in Norway said...

meow! ;D

Ms Hen's said...

Yes.. I read that Reader's Digest when I was a child or something.. I'm 52 now. Not sure what year. But I was just reading about Stanley Milgrim born in 1933.. he was the one who came out with that theory long ago. Great blog.. best to you.

naba the mutant said...

Dear Ms Hen,

Thanks for stopping by.

Any story that touched my heart stayed forever. And I like the simplicity of life of those days. And wish that I have a lot less of sarcasm towards life as I do now. But that's life. Nothing stays as it has been forever and you must have known that better that I am.

Wish to read more of your post, My NYC Blog...