Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Zen way

I went to visit a few zen Buddhist temples in Kyoto.

Probably nothing much to say about the buildings or decorations since I believe zen is all about meditation and being calm and comfort with one self. It is a part of Buddhism teaching. Can look out wiki for more information.

However, I like the garden most. The zen garden was simple which reflect the simplicity of zen life and were made from rocks and trees as in the pictures. I don't know the significant of the big rocks or the small rocks but many people were flashing out their camera lights taking pictures of the rocks or the gardens. And I did that too. The simplicity of the garden mesmerized me and those few copies of pictures would later help me designed my own zen garden. I wanted to make my own zen garden at home back in Malaysia; which I think would give some nice touch to my future house....;)

The zen temples in my opinion, offered the peacefulness (the zen-way) for a person who is looking for it, by mediatating but not praying. I can see no Buddha statue or prayer altar, or probably they were hidden in some other areas which I was not so sure of. But, most of the areas were open area, facing the garden and allocated with many cushions to sit-on for meditiation.

But we, my friends and I did our own brand of zen meditiation, we did asar prayer peacefully without hassle in the temple...:)

No comments :