Thursday, December 24, 2009

Source of inspiration

Book is regard highly in my family but in the early days, to buy a book was not a norm. One factor was the price which would be easily outdone by newspapers.

Living in the family of lower class income, I understood the situation then. Having enough meals on the table everyday was far more important than purchasing a book. Sensibly, sleeping with empty stomach was worst than to not have a single book in the house. Indeed, because children need enough nutrients for the growth of the brain. Adding to the fact that source of knowledge is not only limited to the books, to opt out the importance of book and treated it as a luxury was the appropriate choice then. Hence, my childhood’s reading materials were filled with newspapers and text books of my aunties who were living next door and in their secondary schooling.

Since studying science was considered high class and of course, costly during those times, I was left with no choice to fulfill my free times but to read history text books, Malay literatures (such as Hikayat Malim Demang) and something on economics. And yes, that was because my Aunties, both were art’s students studying history and economics and it was expected to find those books in their houses. At that time, I was around 8 years old.

Being exposed too young to histories of Malaysia and world, it becomes one of my subjects of interest. Not because it is natural for me but because I always yearned for a story. It was easy to remember histories by taking it that way.

The first official history class that I took was when I was in Sultanah Asma Secondary School. I still can recall vividly my history teacher who was also a tennis coacher. During those classes, he would stand by the window with a book on his right hand and the other hand was in his trousers pocket. As far as I can remember, he never look at to the book. I guess the book was there just to make him felt more comfortable. Standing, him slightly facing the window made him look handsome under the morning silhouette. He rarely made eyes contact with the students (all girls). Nevertheless, his cool and calm personality brought out a distinguished gentleman persona around him. We respected him very much. I never witnessed him raised his voice or heard, but once, any story of him coming out of character, and that story still very absurd to me to this very minute.

He used to read (or more correctly, to profess because words just flow out of his mouth) us the history lesson in the class (there was no usual teaching process) and we then obediently wrote every sentence down on our notes book. Though the processes of listening and writing surely had bored some of us to death and made few slept through, but I was not complaining then, or now. It was all good for my SRP examination because he simplified the story and made it easier for us or to me in particularly to understand, remembers and then scored the examination. Yes, I am talking about study to pass examination. Certainly, among the best things about being in the best school was that I can gained access to the best teacher who knew the best about which questions would usually coming out for the national exam. I had straight A’s as a result.

Many people have been preaching about Malaysian schooling. Obviously, there are many good points of studying; real study, not just to pass an examination. I agree of that to the core. However, if we look at ‘knowledge’ carefully, it is not the matter of how the teachers teach but how the students churned the information. Teacher is not there to teach people to think or behave, parents are responsible for that. Teacher is just a guide, a source of inspiration. You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink.

I believe that there is a thin line of Malaysian education on study to pass examination and study for the sake of studying. Do you think that all the mat rempits will love to study if they need not sit for examination?

Here in Japan, we have several creams of the crop of Malaysian students who were sent here with a scholarship and yet still not being able to bring themselves to study. Can we then blame the Japan teaching system? This system had successfully brought out millions of scholars and some of them are Noble awards receivers.

My point is that we should not treat any social problem in Malaysia just by simply looking from a single point of view.

All the successes that I had were not mine alone because they belong to my parents, ancestors, extended families, friends and the last but not the least, my teachers. The image of flying Mathematics notes book across the room going through the door of my primary school class still touched me dearly until today. Nevertheless, my late teacher, Cikgu Habsah was still my first source of inspiration.

There was a case where I was slapped on the back of my body by my English teacher for not being able to spell ‘chocolate’ but it was a shame for me, so that I cannot bring myself to tell my parents about the whole incident. It popped out of my mouth several years back while we were talking about my teacher who happened to be blood related. But no, I was indebted to them forever, no looking back in anger for me.

If only all quarters can take more responsibilities on coaching the young ones and stop the blaming game, I can see a brighter future. I am included. If not, our country is becoming old before it becomes adult because most of the young men will die in the freak motorcycle accidents.

No comments :