Wednesday, August 26, 2009

To cane or not to cane?

Kartika and the news of caning had landed me in a hot soup, so to say.

I had always try my best to avoid discussion on drinking alcohol with my Professor. He, as everyone near and dear to him, is known to love drinking and at the edge of being an alcoholic. His previous PhD student from Bangladesh who is a Muslim drink beer occasionally. Thus, for him, it was alright for Muslim to drink beer. It was until the arrival of me, a hard to preach Muslim that always comes up with answers to defend her religion's regulation, which includes of not eating halal meat or chicken. The halal meat story was another attacked on me that will come anytime necessarily (especially if we wanted to go out for party) because his other previous Muslim student consumes all types of meat besides pork.

He started the story of Kartika yesterday while he was having his lunch and me, the fasting student was sitting at my desk doing some write-up. I was quick to play it down because caning seems harsh but if it is a law, it is a law. We never knew the reason of making drinking alcohol prohibited in Islam. Any critical point of view from a logical mind is nothing to compare to the law of Allah. Besides, Kartika herself is willing to accept the sentenced.

I understand my Professor view because he drinks alcohol every evening. Seeing news of caning punishment by just having a beer, seems as an insult to him, probably, or got him excited. I can saw it clearly just now when we had another discussion of drinking alcohol. He looked upset when I said, "Drinking alcohol is the lowest..." and paused. I paused because I forgot the suitable words. You can see distressed in his face as if I would say that Islam would put him to the lowest group of man, a group of alcohol drinker. He then looked relief when I ended the sentence with "....form of crime." However, we came up with all sort of stories that both of us finally agree that drinking alcohol is not good if one become addicted, as he told me a story of a friend of him. And I took the middle way out by saying that if one knows when to stop before get drunk, then it is OK. But in Islam, it is prohibited.

I am wondering if he is trying to get my approval of him drinking alcohol, because I think he took it seriously that he came up to me to discuss about this matter once again today. I will never understand this man, never! By the way, he can do as he please with his life. Any other view against his is just 'any other view'.

If ones is not in my heart, then their lives have nothing to do with me.

Personally, I think Kartika has the right to do whatever she think alright with herself. If she think that caning is OK, then it is OK.

We will never know the next destiny of our life. Maybe we will die in the next second. I believe that handing the future of our life in God's hand is the best thing to do. Don't worry so much and don't be blinded with logic. Lighting is not always followed with storm.

2 comments :

~srar~ said...

huhu ni cabaran utama ni dok tempat org!..nk kena pertahankan agama sendri dlm keadaan diri yg x brapa dalam ilmunya..mmg cabaran terbesar..

naba the mutant said...

itu antara cabaran pertama...esp. kalau kat tmpt tu xda muslim students langsung atau student sebelum tu main taram ja semua....hahaha! antara soalan, kenapa? mengapa? bersedia ek!;)