Monday, April 26, 2010

Sushi, will be missed...

The first time I came face to face with sushi was when the boss organized a welcome party for me...it seemed like ages ago. The sushi set was served and decorated nicely. But having the thought that I was about to eat raw fish meat, the desires flew away. After having one out of four, the taste-buds said no. Luckily, another south east asian originated student was there, my labmate (she was not in the picture). She finished the whole things plus the one that she ordered. I was very curious. What was so special about the sushi?

Not giving up the hope to understand sushi from the tastebuds of sushi lovers sense of taste, I never stop trying to have sushi after that one occassion. As destiny put me into this path of life, my boss love having party, regardless the agenda and we, the labmembers were always part of the troops. Apart from that, once awhile, I would joined other Malaysian students to have 100yen sushi. The 100yen sushis were a little different from the original sushi served in the old style Japanese restaurant. Besides the fast food style of serving, some of the 100yen sushis were added with mayonis or cheese; just like the one in sushi-king. 

Eventually, after many trials, I was able to eat sushi, and appreciate the freshness of the taste. And even started to miss them. 

The best and the costliest sushi set that I ever ate was in Niigata last year. Courtesy of the boss and other teachers, I paid nil for the dishes.

There were 10 types of sushi on the plate. The one on the most left of the plate was the most expensive and savory sushi. The meat was a tuna meat taken from a nearest part of the fish stomach. It contained a high amount of fat which made it delicious. The most right on the plate were pieces of fermented ginger. I am not very sure but it was said that having the fermented ginger in between the sushis help the tastebuds to differentiate the flavor of each sushi better. The yellow sushi wrapped with seaweed on the left side was a sushi of the sea urchin eggs (uni). The fresh one tasted better, but usually a little expensive than the one in 100yen shop. 

No comments :