Thursday, October 2, 2008

Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde


I am not going to discuss the novella. As for Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, I am more interested in the point of human nature can exist as bad as Mr Hyde in the body of Dr Jekyll. In my opinion, Robert Louis Stevenson, the writer had been a very good observant of mankind though based on Wikipedia, the story was based on dream that Stevenson had.


I always believe that we can be as good as angel and otherwise. It is the end of both personality that characterized human. Therefore, to live consciously and being able to distinctly decide of good and evil is a way of life. Clear mind and feeling good or calmness are the two important things that I think could lead us to the better judgement in making decision.


I had an experience that I don't mind forgetting. Nevertheless, I used it to remind myself that I could be the cruel character as Mr Hyde if I am not carefully guard my senses. There was one time when I was in my early 20's. Being very busy with work in the laboratory, live on my own with not enough money to support myself and tired, I was offered to teach a hyperactive boy at my home, personal tuition. One fine day, he was not listening or doing any homework that I assign him, so I just beat his legs, few times. I was not very sure of how hard I did so. Only the next day when his mother complaining that his son can't walk to school because of the pain, I was very shocked. Did I do that which caused him so much pain? I was lucky that his mother did not take this any further then decided to not send him to my house anymore and we stop talking. I tried to mend the relationship but she decided to go against that, so I just let it go.

Still, I keep wondering that how I could do that. Where did my patience or consciousness went that day? Till now, I am always aware that I shall be very careful whenever I am under stress. This story have been never told to others besides my housemates of that time and a very few buddies.


Doing the PhD is very stressful. So, I try to stay aware of myself all the time. Tiring but I don't want to cross the line anymore.

No comments :