Friday, October 3, 2008

Japan and Me



Being alone in Japan make me do my thinking a lot. I am able to evaluate the past, current and future of my life. Of course, I don't want to be labelled narcissist or self loving. I just would like to reflect the life, the world and the existence.

Japan showed me the other side of world that I would never imagine. I think west, USA or Europe were overexposed by the media, but not Japan. The idea of Japan that I have was never enough. As a child I love Ultraman, one of my favourite TV show that I would never missed. My friends, cousins and me would flocked together in front of the TV set of my aunt. If we were at the middle of the game, we stopped just for the Ultraman. Ultraman was the saver for Japan which happened to have many giants coming out under the earth or the sea. They need Ultraman. Sigh! If only I knew the reality, I wouldn't stopped playing.

The next drama series that reflected me what was Japan is "Oshin". That drama didn't only affected us, the children but all the mothers in my small village. We were like under the influence of Oshin, the main character of the drama to stick throughout the series and shared the sorrow and success of Oshin. The drama was not only enjoy by us but take the whole Malaysian like storm.

Then, there were other dramas that I watched. And gave me some insight of Japan. However, Japan was never like what I imagine. Unlike India, the one month that I spent there was somehow similar with India that I had in mind. Some of them still bear some grudge against Pakistan. The rich is really rich. Caste is still being conducted there. I even knew some of the words and can understood the culture as I was addicted to Hindi and Tamil movies, when I was small. I make great friends with some of them as the can speak English fluently.

At the end, Japan was not like what I imagine. The culture, the people and the life in Japan are very distinct. They are their own league. I am still savouring the smell of Japan, be it good or not. It bring me the new perspective of life.

No comments :