Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Inter-cultural marriage

I would not say anything about inter-religious marriage as it is depend on the religion itself. Some allowed but many not.

The interesting part about inter-cultural marriage is I never think about it. I have a very logic kind of mind but somehow clouded with emotions. It means that I look at something or some problems with logic but full of ideal ideas which sometimes will not become true.

As example, in the case of inter-culture marriage, it never ever crossed my mind that besides me, there will be my mother, brothers and all the extended families inside the marriage world. My Japanese homestay mother was the one who pointed it out to me the possible problem that might arises out of marriage between different ethics. She told me that her sister is married to an American Japanese who do not know a word of Japanese language. As his mother-in-law could not speak a word of English, there are gap between both of them. They cannot communicate, thus they can't understand each other as well as they are supposed to. At the end, the love is there but it could not be expressed.

My logic will say "It's the 2 lovers that are married. Why bother with others?". Yes, that's true to a certain extend, but marriage is not only between two people. It is between two families. That's why we have extended families. Take mafia families as the example. They might be the bad guys but they love their own people like they love their own self.

The other side of me will say that after all this years living with my mother's love, I am not willing to take it for granted. The person who I'll be married shall love my mother as much as I will love his. The differences should not be the big issues. Just focus on the similarity and forget the differences, then you will feel much better. I think so! Who knows?! ('_^)

No comments :