Friday, July 24, 2009

Drunk?

Alcohol drinking is a no-no in Islam teaching. It was among the questions frequently asked by the Japanese regarding Islam. This situation was awkward to me initially because I need to give diplomatic answers as Japanese is known as a sake drinker. I do not want to insult the host and wrecked havoc the party mood. Let the serious explanation take place another time.

Thus, simply say that alcohol is not good is not a very good answer. This is true especially if I don't want to embark into another explanation that will leave a bad taste in my mouth. By the way, last night during the Welcoming Reception I had been asked the question again. In order to kept the answer short, I just said that I can't drink because Islam said so. The person who uttered the question was actually not sober enough to listen to the long explanation. She seems to be highly motivated, happily going around and the face was red in color (flushed face) . I can tell if the drunk person nowadays.

But that is about drunk by drinking alcohol. People can get drunk without having alcohol. I call it, emotionally drunk. It is an intoxication caused by overpowered of emotion. It can happened to such a person who is in love, as example. At this stage, the emotion is the one that control the person. And probably that is the reason we have a phrase that is illogically call 'head over heels' for a person in love. The same emotion of intoxication can happen to a person who fall out of love. Hatred and desire because of the broken heart sometimes can caused a tragic incident. It shows the power of uncontrolled emotion. Anyhow, both situations do not relate to me in any way. It was just that I thought a person under the influence of a great emotion is drunk. Be it good or not, having a control over oneself probably is the best things that a person can wish for. This is me thinking out loud!

Cheers to the long life!

No comments :