Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Humor versus seriousness

Reading for motivation or self improvement is always my favourite pastime besides the thriller or who-do-it kind of styles writing. Thus, somehow I had subscribe to an emailing list of Dr Tony Alessandra. I can't say much about him because I have no idea who he is (his website said he is a business strategist) but some of the materials that I received through the email were good.

Today he remind me about the ability to laugh at yourself, which means to not take yourself too seriously. However, it does not means that we do not take the job or the responsibility lightly. It was just to be humorous when talking will make the conversation more interesting and the person look better on the eyes of others. Too serious will hamper the mood. Sometimes end up being protective. And that's the end of further development of a relationship.

I think I was quite defensive. It was around 15 years ago when I was first introduced to the term 'laughing at yourself'. It simplified a lot of thing in my life. By understand the power of humor, I then used humor to get to know other people. It wasn't easy for me as I'm born introvert. Sometimes, I have to leverage myself before I had enough strength to be the joker of the party. Yes, I had more friends now than 15 years ago. The numbers of friends that I have now would be less if I stay the way I was. I think so. Seriously.

No comments :