Thursday, December 11, 2008

Nihon go again?

Reason for me posting the 'angry' post about Japanese language or Nihon go was because of my dearest Professor. One of the reasons.

He invited all the lab members for lunch last Monday to celebrate his friend, a Professor from Kyushu who came to gave lectures. At one point he was happy to introduce the other two students as capable of speaking Japanese (and the introduction was also in Nihon go, as if I don't understand it at all). Off course they do. Both of them were from the regular PhD course that had the opportunity to study Japanese language for 6 months. One of them is still taking the classes.

So, why I am not taking the classes? I am from the English Phd course, a special course approved by the Mombusho or Ministry of Education. It was only compulsory for me to attend 3 hours classes per week for 12 months. And my Professor is not the one who like his students to linger around outside the laboratory, if you understand what I mean. If you don't understand, in Japan the new students are treated like kindergarten children. It's not something bad as this is in their culture. I was monitored like kid for about 1 year until recently, when he had new attachment student in our lab. Forgot to mention that this situation happened in almost laboratory under old school professor. But some may not like that. So, do not worry so much if you are coming to Japan for research study. You'll get used of it after sometimes.

My point is if you do not allowed the student to study Japanese language, how on earth do you expect them to be good in it? It's like if you do not eat, you will never get full.

No comments :