Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Politics and education

The two things that I rarely discuss are politics and education. Those two are something that stay very close to my heart but sometimes talking with the wrong person will make me sicks in the stomach. Let just say that not all people talk from brain but rather from the emotion and lack of intellectuality in giving their opinions, least to say I know in and out of the politics of Malaysia or world. It was just there are things that you considered as yours, then listening to some unsupported arguments really piss me off.

According to Wikipedia, politics is the process by which groups of people make decisions, which is true. The politicians who are elected, are representative of the ordinary citizens and also often known as lawmakers. These groups of people are the ones who will argue when certain policies or bill are tables in the Parliament. This process is cited as a process of democracy. Means that the representative is the voice of the citizens and he is bringing the mandate of everybody in the country.

I am not going to touch about the integrity of the politicians. Some supporters of any 'great' politicians in Malaysia usually talk like rubbish even when the intellectual discussion takes place. I wouldn't want to go into details. As for me, politician is a person who besides having their own agendas, they are sometimes bond to the agendas of the political party that they're attached to. And as Malaysia is still young country when compared to USA, the popularity of the individuals politician is still the main objectives of the respective politicians to stay in the limelight of the mainstreams.

My hope to the lawmakers is that, whatever they choose to do to be famous or even to be the next Prime Minister, please be careful with the education of the next generation. Playing with education for the purposes to be in the history of Malaysia is a major mistake that will take away Malaysia from it's future.

Anything looks good on paper but implementation is another story. I still remember vividly how I had to sit for UPSR on the 6th grade because my primary school was chosen as a trial school for new education system. I missed the chances to go to good school because as most other school were still taking the exams during the 5th grade, mine was one year later.

The same difficulties I had to overcome was when the faculty of my Alma mater had to cut short and cramped the classes as the ministry wanted more undergraduates to be produced in a short time. Thus many of us took 3 years schooling compared to 4 years, the initial time range. Me, myself had to take 3 years because I was thinking about the competitiveness that I need to hurdle to get a job against my one year old juniors who will graduated at the same times if I stayed for 4 years.

When we fly high we probably will forget the ground. The higher we go, we will see more of the cloud and rainbows. But, when God call us, we still need to go and see him. One fine day, my dear, we will have to come back to the ground.

No comments :